Macaroni and Cheese
This is a recipe for Macaroni and Cheese that has a crispy crust on top, yet has a creamy interior. It uses both cheddar and American cheeses.
Preparation Time: 1:15
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces extra sharp white cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 6 ounces white American cheese, coarsely grated or chopped
- 6 ounces orange American cheese, coarsely grated or chopped
- 1 pound Cavatappi (also called cellentani or double elbows) or elbow macaroni
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional or to taste)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup whole milk
Preparing the Dish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Boil the pasta in salted water until just al dente, drain and rinse under cold water.
- Use 1 Tablespoon butter or a cooking spray to grease a 9x9 inch baking dish, I generally use a silicone dish, but glass or metal will work just as well.
- Combine the cheeses and reserve about two cups to top the dish.
- In a large bowl mix together the pasta, combined cheese, cayenne and salt. Transfer to your greased pan and pour the milk over the mixture. Top with the reserved cheese, and dot with the remaining butter. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Increase the heat to 400° F and bake another 15 minutes, or until the top is browned.