Scottish Barley & Mushroom Casserole
This is an easy, but tasty, and inexpensive dish. Barley is
supposed to be good for lowering cholesterol too! Man, I'm getting hungry.
Recipe by: Jeff Smith (
Frugal Gourmet on our Immigrant Ancestors [amazon.com])
Preparation Time: 1:30
Categories: Hearty, Healthy, Vegetarian
- 2 medium cooking onions, minced
- 1 clove garlic, to be crushed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup pearl barley
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil, or 1 Tblsp dried
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth if you wish)
- 1 teaspoon (or to taste) salt
- ½ teaspoon (or to taste) black pepper -- ground
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
Preparing the Dish
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- In a stove-top to oven safe casserole dish, with a lid, sauté
onions in oil until translucent. Or, alternately, saute in a non-stick pot and
after step 5 transfer to an oven safe casserole dish that has a cover.
- Add mushrooms & cook until tender.
- Crush garlic into mixture.
- Add barley, basil, salt, pepper & stock. Bring to boil.
- Cover & put in oven. Cook until barley is tender approximately 50
- Toss with parsley & serve.
- Sometimes, I like to substitute fresh cilantro, or thyme, or rosemary for
the basil to change the flavor of the dish. And sometimes, I like to add a
couple teaspoons of crushed red pepper, to give the dish a little more